Sunday, April 1, 2012

March 2012 in Review, Part II: Bug Out Bag Upgrade

As I discussed in this post, I am in the process of upgrading and updating our bug out bags (BOBs). One thing the show "Doomsday Preppers" reminded me of is that preparedness isn't all food storage and gardening. (It also reminded me NEVER appear on reality TV.) Those are my favorite parts of prepping, so of course I have been focusing my attention there, but I can't neglect other important (but comparatively boring) areas.


Bug Out Bag Upgrade

The first item that I upgraded was my backpack.

TETON Sports Explorer 4000 Internal Frame Backpack 

I chucked the uncomfortable, conspicuous red backpack my emergency kit came with and tried this one out. It holds a lot and has enough pockets and compartments to keep everything organized. You can easily adjust it to fit your body comfortably and it is relatively inexpensive. It's definitely a keeper. 


My next purchase was a nifty survival knife.

 
Gerber  LMF II Black Infantry Knife 
 
I am by no means an expert in weaponry, but I think this knife is pretty cool and very useful. You can use the end to break glass or as a hammer. There are holes in the handle so that you could lash the knife to a stick and create a spear. The sheath has a built in sharpener and can attach to a belt or even strap to your leg if you're going for a full-blown Rambo look. It's a quality knife and made in the USA. 

Lastly, I tucked a coil of paracord into my new BOB. I'll continue the upgrade over the next few months.

Anyone else updating, upgrading, or building a bug out bag? What are you adding?

1 comment:

  1. I love that show dooms day preppers. I have learned a lot by watching it, and I knew exactly what a bug out bag was as soon as saw your blog post just from watching that show.

    ReplyDelete