Saturday, December 3, 2011

November in Review and December Preps

I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving and have your Christmas preparations well under way. I am about 3/4 of the way done with my Christmas shopping, though I avoided the complete madness of Black Friday. Hubby Dear and I stayed at home in our pajamas and did our shopping online. We may not have bought any waffle irons for $2, but we stayed safe and sane, thank you very much!

November in  review:

1. Gardening
  • We planted 1 lb of garlic cloves and mulched heavily over the top. Hopefully they will survive the winter depredations of field mice and emerge in the spring. We cleaned up all the garden debris and have everything clean and ready for spring plantings. 
  • We finalized our plans for a survival orchard and planted three pecan trees
  • Hubby Dear went through his garden journal and tallied up the final harvest totals. We learned a lot this year and I'll be sharing this information with you in a future post. 
  • We have a tentative plan for next year's garden. We're expanding our garden yet again, which means we'll be building yet more square foot boxes

Finally! Some cauliflower! The heads were small but very tasty.

2. Food Storage

I hope this captures some of the beauty of this particularly pretty sunset, despite my lack of camera skills! 

December Preps:

  • My major goal this month is to finalize my year's supply of long term food storage items. I need to go over our inventory and see if there are gaps. I think we are complete other than in dry milk.
  • I need to pre-order my chicks to be delivered in March! 
  • My Christmas present to myself is the mack daddy chicken coop that will be delivered in January. I can't wait to share it with you all. 

That's it for me. Are you gifting yourself or others with any preparedness items? If so, please share in the comments. 


1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed your blog that I recently stumbled upon. I noticed you purchase quite a few things from Emergency Essentials. While they're a great company for many items, you might also want to look around for other opportunities. For example, it looks like you're trying to provide healthier options for your family. The clarified butter you purchased from EE could have been purchased organically and grass fed from http://www.pureindianfoods.com/ . Sometimes the prices are higher at other places, but I would rather pay a bit more for organic and quality.

    ReplyDelete