Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Using Your Food Storage: My Favorite Pancake Recipe

I don't cook breakfast very often - FYOF (Find Your Own Food) is my rule for breakfast - but I do regularly cook breakfast-type foods at other times of the day. If TSHTF, I expect we'll be eating pancakes much more often. Not only can they be made entirely out of food storage, but they also are easy to cook on top of your gas stove, woodstove, grill, or campfire, providing you have the appropriate cookware.

I've been looking for the perfect whole wheat pancake recipe and I think I've finally found it. The pancakes turn out light and fluffy with none of the hard bits of wheat I always seem to get when I try one of those blender pancake recipes. They are sweet, with a pleasant, light, nuttiness from the wheat. I never thought I'd say this, but I actually prefer these pancakes to the recipe I've used for years from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook


Maple syrup and butter on whole wheat pancakes? Heavenly!

Try out these pancakes! They are super yummy, no matter what time of day you make them.


Whole Wheat Pancakes, recipe from Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook

2 c. whole wheat flour (freshly ground is best)
2 t. baking powder
4 T. sugar
5 T. dried whole egg powder
6 T. non-instant, non-fat powdered milk
1/2 t. salt
2 c. plus 5 T. water
4 T. oil

Sift together dry ingredients. Add water and oil; stir until moist. Cook on a griddle or pan at medium heat. Serve with butter and syrup or whatever floats your boat. Makes 12-5" pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment