Friday, February 4, 2011

Taking the Cloth Pad Plunge

Saying "Bye, bye" to these in the name of self-sufficiency
Thanks to all who left comments and encouragement on my post about my new sewing machine and potential, semi-scary sewing project. I just ordered some fabric and the other items I need, and as soon as they get here, I'm going to get right to work. And, for the first time in my life, I'm actually looking forward to my next period so I can try them out!

I did a ton of research. I had no idea there was such a wide variety of cloth pads that are out there! There are a multitude of different patterns, materials, etc. Here are a sprinkling of the items I found:

Basic cloth pad with removable liner - I seriously considered making this one. I still might try it.

Hillbilly Housewife's pattern - Similar to the first one. Thanks to Lee for suggesting this. If you haven't explored the Hillbilly Housewife website, you should. Lots of great info and ideas there.

Circle Pad - This one perplexed me. I'm sure it's not that complicated, but it seemed like it to me.

More from She Who Runs in the Forest

In the end, I found the cloth pad tutorial by Feminine Essence to be the most helpful. There are pictures of every step and complete instructions. She truly, as a dear friend of mine used to say, "breaks it down for the slow folk".

Keep your fingers crossed that I get this to work out!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the links!
    I'm so excited to hear about how it all turns out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am interested in how this turns out. I've been toying with this idea after finding your blog on the Survival Mom Blog Ring. :) You make a good point about things running out after a time and not having anything else. Anyway, I'll keep checking and see how you do with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a post I did today about the menstrual cups that complement reusable pads in terms of being green or being short of storage space. Enjoy!!
    http://sustainingfarm.blogspot.com/2011/05/tmi-prepping-for-womens-needs.html

    ReplyDelete