Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Have you seen this?

Freeze-dried herbs! I haven't seen any of the food storage companies carrying anything like this, have you?



I've used freeze-dried basil for some time. It's the next best thing to fresh, much closer than traditionally dried basil.

When I was perusing the spice section in our little podunk grocery store, I noticed that they now carry other freeze-dried products: dill, oregano, red onion, chives, parsley, and, most excitingly, cilantro. I know cilantro is one of those things that you either love or you hate, but we adore it. I do grow cilantro in my herb garden, but it tends to bolt and go to seed quickly. Now I can have some shelf-stable cilantro on hand to add to all those black beans I'm storing.

Here's a source for freeze-dried herbs.  They come in a glass bottle and are definitely not vacuum or nitrogen packed, which is less than ideal for long term storage. Still, I think they are definitely a worthwhile addition to our food storage.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a nifty find ... I'll have to check out the stores around here!

    I just got some dried onions to have on hand ... more spices would certainly be a welcome addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, sounds promising. I know everyone says cilantro doesn't dry well. I'll have the check it out. We love cilantro and eat a lot of mexican food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic resource! Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Thanks for this. I would love to stock freeze dried herbs!

    ReplyDelete