Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Definition of Luxury

"Mom!"

I sat bolt upright. I had been in bed all of five minutes when I heard Mini Me wail my name. She was crying incoherently and was still half asleep, but one glance told me that the stomach flu had set in. 

Eventually every member of my family was struck down with this abominable abdominal illness... except me. I don't remember too many details of those joyful days leading up to Christmas, but I do know that I made a lot of toast for children with upset stomachs, washed some absolutely horrifying laundry, and cleaned many square feet of carpet.

Nothing would make a round of the stomach flu pleasant, but I did take a few moments to appreciate the sense of calm my preps enabled me to have. I was thankful that I had a large box of gloves to protect my hands while I was scrubbing the carpet for the third time in one day. I didn't have to run to the store for Pedialyte, hand sanitizer, or laundry detergent since I had plenty on hand. All that applesauce I canned this fall made a perfect food for babies with sensitive tummies.

I know most people would disagree, but in all of this, I felt a sense of luxury. Check out the Merriam-Webster Dicitionary's definitions of luxury:

 - a condition of abundance or great ease and comfort
 - something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary 
 - an indulgence in something that provides pleasure, satisfaction, or ease

I was prepared and therefore reaped some "ease and comfort" during our time of need.


Pretty, but useless. Not the kind of luxury I'm talking about.
 The best thing about this is that preparedness is a "luxury" that is not out anyone's reach. We all can do something to increase the quality of our life. You can buy an extra can of tuna, a bottle of Pedialyte, or a bucket of wheat. If you have a large budget, you can make some serious preps very quickly, but that shouldn't stop anyone from starting. Do what you can with what you have.

When the storms come in your life - and they will come, be they the stomach flu or something more dire - you can experience a little luxury and be thankful that you planned ahead. And that beats a diamond ring or a fancy vacation in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment