Sunday, September 19, 2010

Using your Food Storage: No-Bake Cookies

OK, so they're not exactly exotic, but No-Bake Cookies taste great and use a ton of food storage ingredients. And if the power goes out, I'll still be able to prepare this easy treat on my cooktop.

My mother-in-law's recipe is the best I've ever tried. The one my Mom used while I was growing up tended to be finicky about weather and humidity. This one always turns out great regardless of the barometer. I like to use crunchy peanut butter instead of creamy for extra peanutty goodness.





No-Bake Cookies

2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 c. milk (or powdered milk, reconstituted according to directions)
1 stick butter (I keep pounds of butter in my freezer at all times.)

Mix together the above ingredients in a large saucepan and let come to a boil. Remove from heat and add:

1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. peanut butter
3 c. quick oatmeal (It's not very good with regular rolled oats.)

Stir together and drop on waxed paper in whatever size dollops you prefer. Allow to cool and then enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!!

    I can't wait to try these myself -- they look just wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: My daughter made these yesterday ... which means that our family now has a New Favorite Treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the same as my recipe--they so are so good! I especially like them stored in the fridge. It makes them taste like fudge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom has made a version of this for at least 35 years -- the only difference is that instead of peanut butter, she uses half a bag of flaked or shredded coconut. It's always been my favorite! I'll have to try your recipe, since I do love peanut butter & chocolate together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Followed the directions to this recipe but mines turned out so mushy! Is that how it's suppose to be??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with these cookies. No, they are not supposed to be mushy. They crystallize as they cool and hold their shape.

      I have two possible guesses as to what happened. One, if you over-cooked them, it could affect the texture. Two, is it humid where you are? Sometimes humidity can mess with recipes like this.

      Emily

      Delete