Friday, September 17, 2010

Month Four: Vehicle Kit, Part Deux

Hubby Dear's Mini-Vehicle Kit: Enough to get him home. 
During the first month of my Prepping Plan, I made a mini vehicle kit for Hubby Dear's car but didn't do too much for my own vehicle, the family mini-van. I knew that we needed to stock some essentials in our vehicle, but I wasn't entirely sure how they would all fit.

I purchased the supplies for the van as part of my Month Four Preps and took advantage of a quiet evening to myself to put it all together and shoehorn it into place. I had to contort myself like I was playing a demented game of Twister, but I got it done. The workout I received from my efforts was an added bonus, I guess!

I took advantage of every available space in my van and also thought about how and when I would be likely to use each item. Take the First Aid kit, for example. I figure that the First Aid kit will see the most action of any item in my emergency kit, so I wanted to have it readily accessible. A slot in the passenger side door fit the kit perfectly and keeps it nearby. The Aqua Literz, on the other hand, I intend to use only in an  emergency. I put those, a roll of toilet paper, and a few other odds and ends in a box underneath the rear bench seat. I'll have to check them for explosions leaks periodically, as I have found out the hard way.

In various stashes throughout my van, I have:
  • First Aid kit, feminine hygiene items
  • LED Headlamp
  • Basic survival kit stuff - multitool, matches, whistle, etc.
  • Empty water bottles
  • Aqua Literz
  • Ration bars
  • Ponchos and emergency blankets for each family member
  • Hand and Body Warmers
  • Fleece blankets
  • Toilet Paper
  • Handcrank radio, flashlight and cell phone charger
  • Road Atlas
  • Duct Tape
  • Roadside kit - jumper cables, tools, etc.
  • So true, isn't it?
  • Foldable shovel
I have two children in diapers, so I always bring a fully stocked diaper bag with me.

I also made an inventory sheet to place in my glove box that lists all of my items and where they are located. I'm bound to forget where I put some of that stuff, especially if I'm under stress.

If you haven't seen it already, take a look at one of my favorite channels on YouTube, AnalyticalSurvival. He modified the trunk in his wife's car to hold an extremely complete vehicle kit. That won't work in my situation, but it may in yours. Plus, it's just cool!

If you are like I was and think you don't have room in your vehicle for some preps, take another look. You might appear as graceful as a hippo doing the cha-cha while you stash them away in every nook and cranny, but you'll be thankful in the long run that you have your preps in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment