Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hurricane Warning

I bet the unprepared people living around the projected path of Hurricane Earl are wishing they had stocked up on essentials ahead of time.


I lived through Hurricane Andrew in 1992. I was living in Louisiana at the time and so we did not experience the full force of the storm like Florida did. We didn't have much besides a loss of power for three days and downed tree limbs. I honestly don't remember if my parents prepared for Andrew ahead of time or not. I was a freshman in high school and I cared much more about my hair and my senior boyfriend than I did anything else! 

I don't live in hurricane country these days, but I do live in flash flood, ice storm, blizzard, and tornado country. I also live in unemployment, inflation, food supply disruption, and grid failure country. You do, too, if you live on planet earth.   

The people on the east coast are lucky that they have gotten several days warning for this particular crisis. That is not something you can count on having.

Disasters DO happen. They will happen to YOU. It's just a matter of WHEN and WHAT.

Let's make sure that we're not going to be among the rabble scrambling for last minute preparations. Think about the potential disasters that you are at risk for  - be they natural, economic or what have you - and get ready now.

I feel inspired to get cracking on my prepping plan, how about you?

1 comment:

  1. I talked with a friend who said that the Wal-Mart in her East Coast town was COMPLETELY EMPTY of water only one day after Hurricane Earl's path was determined! It's just stunning how quickly the supplies are depleted ... and how important it is to be able to provide for our own families!

    ReplyDelete